Monday, April 15, 2013

Real by Katy Evans

A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I've ever met in my life.



2 stars

I am not sure where this one went wrong for me.  It had all the right ingredients....hot MMA fighter, intense love, major flaws for the main characters, it just didn't do it for me. The story was told in a choppy format that made me feel more disconnected from the plot.  I am pretty sure the main characters spoke all of 10 sentences to each other.  Most of the book was spent stuck in the Brooke's head.  
I also felt a little offended by the flaw given to Remy, and how it was portrayed. 
 Spoiler alert.......He finally tells Brooke he is Bipolar.  The book treats it like it is a Jekyll and Hyde type of thing where he doesn't remember anything he does while "black" or manic.  He is also given a pass for anything he does during this time.  I just thought it was ridiculous.  I have known lots of bipolar people, and none of them act like this.  It was just weird.  He doesn't want to take medicine because he doesn't like how it makes him feel....but it is fine to medicate with alcohol, prostitutes, and beating people up.  

All in all, I finished the book, but I wouldn't read a sequel, or recommend it to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment